The General Demonstration Report—Capstone Program is an option Candidates for Designation may choose to complete their demonstration of knowledge requirement for their MAI designation. Like the traditional requirement, the same skills and knowledge base are required to produce a complete demonstration appraisal report. However, this program was designed to offer an option that accelerates the completion of the report. Instead of selecting and compiling data on a property, participants are provided with a subject property and data to analyze and then write the report in a limited time span of approximately two months. Participants must attend two webinars and a 7-day classroom session where facilitators will be on hand to answer questions and offer guidance. The full report is submitted for grading at noon on the seventh day.
The program is designed to be completed in approximately two months; therefore, participants must realize they will need to commit a considerable amount of that time on analysis and writing tasks PRIOR to the classroom setting. One pre-class writing assignment (fundamental market analysis) is required before the second webinar. It is important that participants understand they will need to spend a minimum of 150-200 hours to successfully complete this program. And during the 7-day classroom session, participants should expect to work on their reports after the 7-hour days spent in the classroom. 10-12 hours a day that week will not be unusual.
Because of the nature of this program, NO REFUNDS or TIME EXTENSIONS will be granted.
• Submit pre-class assignment
• Complete assignments at the end of each day to gauge progress
• Finish all sections of the demonstration appraisal report by noon on seventh day
Time frame to complete program & demo report
||Download materials, begin review of materials
WEBINAR #1: Introduction to program & Intro to Fundamental Market Analysis
||Complete Assignment: FMA
WEBINAR #2: Feedback on Fundamental Market Analysis
||Continue working on other parts of the report up to HBU
||General demonstration report due
• Pre-class session 1: Webinar – 1.5 hours
• Pre-class session 2: Webinar – 1 hour
• Day 1: Classroom – 7 hours
• Day 2: Classroom – 7 hours
• Day 3: Classroom – 7 hours
• Day 4: Classroom – 7 hours
• Day 5: Classroom – 7 hours
• Day 6: Classroom – 7 hours
• Day 7: Classroom – 3.5 hours
• Test ability to analyze the necessary data properly, support conclusions, and write an appraisal report providing analysis and conclusions which will lead the reader to concur with the opinion of value
• Demonstrate critical thinking and technical expertise
• Demonstrate the ability to interpret real-world market knowledge
• Present a consistent theme throughout the entire report
• Support and defend your analysis
• Communicate effectively and consistently
• Demonstrate knowledge of valuation methods and analytical techniques
Subject property types
• Office building
What Previous Participants Have to Say About the General Demonstration Report Capstone Program…
• Overall, the Capstone program was a great option and definitely sped up my designation process.
• The program was very beneficial as I have been overly reluctant to choose the “perfect” property to use as the subject for my Demo. This program solved that issue and put me on a stringent time-line for completion.
• I have been putting off the demo for about 10 years. I am not sure I would have ever written it without an alternative like this. While it was extremely beneficial to have all the basic research done, in my opinion the analysis was probably more difficult and the education experience greater as I would have made strong efforts to avoid some of the issues that I was forced to deal with and analyze under this format.
• The week in class provided answers to questions that a lot of us had about various aspects of the report and process. Getting some answers helped me better understand the concepts we were to demonstrate and apply them successfully.
• It was very challenging and in my opinion more difficult than a traditional demo report…it was a rewarding experience where I learned more than I probably would have in a traditional demo.
• The facilitators were incredibly helpful helping me talk through some concepts I was not exactly clear on. The light finally went on about Wednesday with how the FMA and HBU tied through the report…the Capstone helped me break the demo down into bite-sized chunks and the deadlines are exactly what I needed.
More than 80% of participants said they would highly recommend this alternative.