Choose your path
Valuation of Conservation Easements is an intense, advanced-level educational endeavor dealing with one of the most controversial topics in the realm of valuation. It is designed for the advanced, general certified appraiser who understands the methodology in the approaches to value and is ready to embark on understanding the intricacies involved in one of the most misunderstood and difficult types of appraisals.Over 4½ days, this intensive program will familiarize participants with conservation easement valuations in a variety of different situations, including conventional appraisals, appraisals that are required to comply with the Yellow Book, and appraisals involving noncash charitable contributions that are required to comply with IRS standards. Learning objectives will be accomplished through a series of lectures, in-class discussions, problem solving, in-depth homework assignments, and case-law analysis.Upon successful completion of the course, participants should be able to:· Understand the methodologies and techniques commonly used in valuing conservation easements.
· Grasp state, federal, and IRS regulations and requirements relating to conservation easements.
· Understand the range of assignments that are common in valuing conservation easements.
· Develop an effective scope of work for a conservation easement valuation assignment, apply concepts of highest and best use analysis to that assignment.
· Utilize a range of techniques to effectively carry out a conservation easement valuation.
· Identify the unique issues that may apply to conservation easements and complete the assignment(s) in accordance with the various state and federal agency requirements. Note. This course is in the Valuation of Conservation EasementsProfessional Development Program. Fore more information, click here.AICP members may be able to earn Certification Maintenance (CM) credits for this activity. Visit here for a list of approved offerings. This course is approved for GBCI CE Hours by the USGBC.
Note. This course is in the Valuation of Conservation EasementsProfessional Development Program. Fore more information, click here.
Table of Contents and Overview [PDF] Schedule [PDF]
The Dictionary of Real Estate Appraisal, 5th ed. Historic Properties: Preservation and the Valuation Process
, 2nd ed. Uniform Appraisal Standards for Federal Land Acquisitions Real Estate Valuation in Litigation, 2nd ed. Appraising Conservation and Historic Preservation Easements
To order books and other materials go toour store
Please contact the sponsoring chapter for information on fees applicable to chapter programs.
A financial calculator is required.. The accepted model used in the course is the HP-12C. Note. Cellular phones, tablets, iPads, and other devices that connect to the Internet are NOT permitted during the exam.
33 hours (including 2-hour exam)To receive credit, participants must attend 100% of the program.
AI CE Credit for Designated Members, Candidates for Designation, and Practicing Affiliates
Attend Only = 200 points
Attend and Pass= 250 points
Must be a certified general appraiser.
Who Should Enroll
Experienced general appraisers.
Click Here for State Approvals
Pop up content here.