NOTE: Due to some content specific to the Appraisal institute, the AQB has approved this course for 5 hours of CE. Appraisal Institute Candidates for Designation and Designated Members will receive 35 points of AI credit.
Business Practices and Ethics is a significant course in the Appraisal Institute’s curriculum. Appraisers who belong to the Appraisal Institute must adhere to the Code of Professional Ethics and Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice of the Appraisal Institute, including various regulations, in an increasingly complex business environment.
This course is designed to familiarize participants with the obligations of a professional appraiser and the obligations and benefits of belonging to the Appraisal Institute. Interactive assignments and examples give participants the opportunity to review ethical rules and professional standards. The course also provides a venue for participants to share ideas about best business practices in light of the ethical requirements placed upon them as professionals and the ever-changing nature of the real property valuation business.
The course begins with a discussion of professional practice requirements and an overview of the Code of Professional Ethics of the Appraisal Institute. Assignments build on the principles explored in previous parts and in that manner illustrate how those principles are codified in the Appraisal Institute’s standards and ethics documents. In addition, an overview of the organization’s peer review process is provided along with a list of frequently asked questions and answers. The course concludes with a discussion of business practices and information about common reporting and methodology errors. Assignments on these topics allow ample opportunity for participants to explore the issues
Introduction and Overview
Module 1: Professional Practice Overview
Module 2: Use of Appraisal Institute Logo, Membership Designations, and Emblems: Regulation No. 5
Module 3: Code of Professional Ethics of the Appraisal Institute
Module 4: Peer Review: Regulation No. 6
Module 5: Common Errors and Issues
• Identify the purpose of the Appraisal Institute’s Code of Professional Ethics and Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice and understand how they apply to Appraisal Institute Affiliates, Practicing Affiliates, Candidates for Designation and Designated Members.
• Recognize how to apply better appraisal business practices, especially with regard to client relationships.
• Identify the major steps in the enforcement of the Appraisal Institute’s peer review system.
• Recognize the guidance offered by the Appraisal Institute’s Guide Notes to the Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice.
• Identify opportunities for improving professionalism.
• Recognize common ethical dilemmas and identify strategies for resolving them.
AI CE Credit for Designated members, Candidates for Designation and Practicing Affiliates
• Attend Only = 35 points
Please note: Promotional pricing for Business Practices and Ethics is no longer in effect.