This course introduces participants to valuation methods for appraising the high performance house. Participants learn the appraisal procedures for valuing green residential properties to assist in supporting an opinion of value. The course focuses on the valuation process in different appraisal problems encountered in appraising green properties. The valuation process is examined as it applies in each of the three approaches to value.
In-depth case studies will help participants develop their problem-solving skills in this new building technology. The case studies represent the real estate market in 2009-2010, and the problems and discussion questions are based on real-life examples provided by builders, real estate agents and appraisers.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
• Develop ways to assess potential contributory value of green or energy efficient items.
• Identify the GRM analysis as a tool for supporting adjustments for green buildings.
• Identify the use of paired analysis to support adjustments for green buildings.
• Identify the issues requiring careful verification of comparables for green buildings.
• Develop the three approaches to value in context of green buildings.
Exam: This 7 hour course contains an optional offline exam for 1 additional hour of credit. Students taking the class for the Professional Development Program (see below) are required to complete the exam.
AI CE Credit for Designated members, Candidates for Designation and Practicing Affiliates:
• Attend Only = 75 points
• Attend and Pass Exam = 125 points
Appraisal Institute Professional Development Program:
This course is in the Valuation of Sustainable Buildings Professional Development Program. For a list of FAQs, which includes information regarding the other courses you'll need to successfully complete the program, click here.
Note: Appraisal Institute professionals may not repeat this course in any subsequent continuing education cycle unless it has been substantially revised, as determined by the Admissions and Designation Qualifications Committee. For further information, please visit our Continuing Education Page .