This introduction course focuses on the evolution of green buildings, the concept of sustainability in buildings, and the principles, practices, and components that distinguish sustainable from traditional buildings.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
· Recognize competency and USPAP implications of appraising green buildings.
· Understand the evolution of green buildings.
· Understand the six elements of green building.
· Identify benefits and costs of green buildings.
· Recognize the green building certification and ratings programs for energy conservation and sustainability.
· Understand the primary areas of green reporting.
· Understand highest and best use implications.
· Consider the three approaches to value in context of green buildings.
Exam: This 7 hour course contains an optional offline exam for 1 additional hour of credit. Students taking the class for the Professional Development Program (see below) are required to complete the exam.
State Continuing Education Credit:
Click here for approvals
AI CE Credit for Designated members, Candidates for Designation and Practicing Affiliates:
· Attend Only = 75 points
· Attend and Pass Exam = 125 points
Appraisal Institute Professional Development Program:
This course is in the Valuation of Sustainable Buildings Professional Development Program. For a list of FAQs, which includes information regarding the other courses you'll need to successfully complete the program, click here.
Note: Appraisal Institute professionals may not repeat this course in any subsequent continuing education cycle unless it has been substantially revised, as determined by the Admissions and Designation Qualifications Committee. For further information, please visit our Continuing Education Page .