Choose your path
-- select --
Resources for Accountants
Resources for Bankers
Resources for Homeowners
Resources for Attorneys
Find An Appraiser
0 Registrations in Cart
Select an Offering
Application & Interpretation of Simple Linear Regression
November 15 - 16, 2018
John H. Urubek, MAI
UT Conference Ceneter
600 Henley St
to check state approvals
Sponsor / Contact
Myra W. Pitts
This two-day course is designed for appraisal professionals who want to learn how to use Microsoft® Excel to apply statistical methods to valuation problems. The course employs Excel’s "data analysis" add-in and charting capabilities to assist in developing descriptive statistics and in using simple linear regression analysis to estimate linear relationships between two variables. Topics include descriptive statistics, charts and tables, an introduction to simple linear regression, assumptions underlying application of linear regression modeling, nonlinear curve fitting, prediction and forecasting, data sufficiency, and separation of pooled data by submarket. Participants will be engaged in hands-on learning, discovering and applying basic statistical methods to data sets custom built to illustrate each session’s objectives in a valuation context. This course will help you gain a solid understanding of simple linear regression analysis and be prepared for more advanced multiple linear regression study.
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
• Understand and validate the assumptions underlying linear regression analysis
• Develop credible estimates of outcome variable values and associated confidence intervals
• Interpret Excel’s linear regression outputs
• Transform nonlinear relations into linear equivalents for analysis
• Develop forecasts from time-series data
When participants receive their registration e-mail confirmation, a secure link will be available where they will be instructed to download Excel files to use for in-class exercises. Be sure you download these files prior to coming to class.
This course is in the
Analytics for Valuation
Professional Development Program. For more information,
Table of Contents and Overview
• General or Residential Candidates working on their designations
• MAIs or SRAs who want to further their statistics knowledge and skill base
• Residential or general certified appraisers
• Tax assessors
• Review appraisers
• Market researchers
• Laptops (external mouse recommended)
• A four-function calculator is required.
Cellular phones, tablets, iPads, and other devices that connect to the Internet are NOT permitted during the exam.
• Spreadsheet program: Excel 2010. You must be familiar with basic Excel and calculator operation when the course begins. Answers to problems in course material are shown using Excel 2010. Do not come to class expecting to be taught how to use Excel.
Note to Mac users:
Microsoft does not support the Data Analysis Tool Pack in Mac Office Excel 2008 or Mac Office Excel 2011. However, they do suggest free third-party add-ins with similar functionality. For more information,
for 2008 or
Real Estate Finance, Statistics, and Valuation Modeling
or university-level introduction to statistics course
Using Spreadsheet Programs in Real Estate Appraisals - The Basics
or similar course/seminar
• Participants must sign a waiver at the beginning of the course stating that they have the prerequisites. If they do not, they will not hold the Appraisal Institute responsible and will not expect to receive special attention during the course.
For Further Reading
An Introduction to Statistics for Appraisers
Up To 15 days prior to program start date, $25.00 cancellation fee.
7 - 14 days prior to program start date, $50.00 cancellation fee.
Less than 7 days prior to program start date, forfeit of payment.
Up To 15 days prior to program start date, $25.00 transfer fee.
7 - 14 days prior to program start date, $25.00 transfer fee.
Less than 7 days prior to program start date, no transfer allowed.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: In order that we may comply with ADA, we need advance notice of any special needs you may have. Please provide written details of any special needs you may have under ADA on a separate page and send it in at least two weeks in advance in order that reasonable accommodations may be arranged.
Program materials can be downloaded by the student.
UT Conference Center
600 Henley Street
Knoxville, TN 37902
Registration: 7:30am eastern time
Class begins: 8am eastern time
Parking located in the Locust Street Garage on the corner of Locust and Clinch Streets. Cost is $7 per day.
Sponsor / Contact
Chapter: Greater Tennessee
Contact: Myra Withers Pitts
501 W Church Ave
(Anything downtown will be close to the UT Conference Center. I suggest using Hotwire or Priceline or something like that as we do not have a preferred rate anywhere).
200 W. Madison, Suite 1500, Chicago, IL 60606
888-7JOINAI (756-4624) |
Terms & Conditions
Copyright © 2017 Appraisal Institute. All rights reserved.